1. Are you a hedgehog hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for hedgehog enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and have a great time with other hedgehog enthusiasts. Sign up today!
    Dismiss Notice

Trusted Breeder List

Discussion in 'For Sale and Wanted Ads' started by Josh, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Josh

Josh HedgehogForums Admin Staff Member

Feel free to list any breeders you trust in this thread so that we have a solid list of folks that can be trusted and aren't running hedgie mills.
    Eventually we'll separate them all out by state and have a comprehensive list for any new-comers that are looking for good contact information.
  2. alan

alan New Member

could i be added to the breeder list?
    Josh likes this.
  3. Josh

Josh HedgehogForums Admin Staff Member

We're working on a list feature for active members that are also breeders. @Patrick is putting it together
  4. alan

alan New Member

thanks i am not a mass producer just the babies from my pets I have two pair
    Josh likes this.
  5. alan

alan New Member

i live in cali my sons live in alabama I would like to ship some to them can anyone advise on shipping?
    Josh likes this.
  6. Tuscadero

Tuscadero Member

ellisrks01 likes this.
  7. Alex

Alex Member

How many proven blood lines to you have, also what is the dam and sire's pedigree? To be a trusted breeder these are very important things for people to know.
    Hedgehog In A Blog likes this.
  8. milkandsam

milkandsam Member

Top Quality Hedgehogs-Lexington, Kentucky
  9. ellisrks01

ellisrks01 New Member

I wouldn't ship unless you feel like paying a fine and having your herd taken away(I'm just being straight forward). It could easily happen if your trying to ship from Cali. Since they are illegal in that state lol. I'm not telling you do anything illegal but if your still going to ship your best bet is to drive there or wait for your sons to come visit and have them drive back with them ;)
  10. ellisrks01

ellisrks01 New Member

Ahhh I'm so mad, I seen you are next door to me(I'm in NC) and I was drooling over that cute split face male available. Then I looked up directions and it 9+ hours to your city :(
    Tuscadero likes this.
  11. Tuscadero

Tuscadero Member

Yes, we are in the west TN - on the Mississippi River - can't get any more west than that. I have a friend who has gotten a hog from someone in NC, I believe. I'll see if I can find out from whom she's getting her new baby.
  12. Tuscadero

Tuscadero Member

My North Carolina peeps say Dreamflower Meadows Farm in Shelby, NC. At least 3 different folks have gotten hogs there and all are extremely pleased.
  13. ellisrks01

ellisrks01 New Member

That's where I got my female from. She is about hour and half from me.My girlfriend and I sat and spoke with her for a while when we were there. She's a really cool lady! Awsome breeder too!

I recommend
    Shannon Orth @
    Dreamflowermedows.com
    Hedgehog In A Blog and Tuscadero like this.
  14. Hedgehog In A Blog

Hedgehog In A Blog New Member

I shall recommend myself: Hedgehog In A Blog Farms.

I run hogletbloglet.blogspot.com aka Hedgehog In A Blog. It is updated infrequently because I just get way more traffic on other social networking sites.
    I can be found as hedgehoginablog on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Hoobly, and Tumblr.
    Hedgehog In A Blog Farms is located in San Diego, CA. I selectively breed smaller hedgehogs. They are about a 1/4 smaller than the average African Pygmy hedgehog. If you are looking specifically for a little handful than you have come to the right place! If you would like a larger hedgehog then I can definitely point you in the right direction to another breeder. I am always happy to help out!

*I produce a set of litters quarterly.
    *I breed ethically- NO inbreeding; NO over-breeding; NO incestuous incidents; NO underaged breeding
    *I do NOT breed any hedgehog of either gender before the age of 6 months.
    *I retire female breeders no older than 2 and 1/2 years of age (2 years of breeding).
    *I retire males whenever they start to become less virile.
    *I make sure that every hedgehog has their own private habitat with toys, a wheel, plenty of room to root around and destroy empty toilet paper rolls, and I make sure that they are handled often.
    *I offer free customer care.
    *I guarantee the health of my hoglets.
    *I take pre-orders under certain conditions.
    *I include food, a toy, a carrying cage, and two bowls-- one for water and one for food-- with your new hoglet.
    *I DO NOT SHIP. You must come pick up your hedgehog from me.
    *Under certain conditions I MAY DELIVER your hedgehog to you for a fee that is charged by the mile. Price varies with gas prices.

Whether you purchase a hoglet from me or not, I am happy to answer any questions that you might have about hedgehogs, hedgehog farming, selective breeding tactics, how to help your grumpy hedgie to love you more than mealies (maybe lol) and so on. I'm a fountain of knowledge but I am not infallible. If you spot an error in one of my posts please point it out! I wish to use this experience to grow and become the top breeder in Southern California. I already consider myself to be one of the best, but only in comparison to the competition that I am aware of and, sadly, they are not much to compare myself to at all. If you live in Orange, San Diego, or Riverside County then you probably know who I am talking about but I will not name names. I refuse to become a hedgehog factory or a poorly educated breeder.

If you would like to work with me in your quest to find the perfect spiky little friend then please contact me at [email protected] and I will get back to you within 24 hours.

I look forward to working with you!

--Amy
    Hedgehog In A Blog

DISCLAIMER: I am aware of the state laws and have taken great care so as to fly as far beneath the radar as possible. I firmly believe that outlawing hedgehogs in California is a law unfounded in science and reason. The moment they are legalised I will be the first in line to become accredited.
    Delmy likes this.
  15. Hedgehog In A Blog

It is seriously nice to hear that certain breeders will sit and have a chat with their customers! The breeders I have run into out here in CA are completely unfriendly. I got my first hoglet from the back of a van. Can we say "creepy"?? Yikes.
  16. Hedgehog In A Blog

I always worry when people want to breed their two pet hedgehogs because, often, they have gotten them from the same litter. Also, you definitely need two separate cages because, once the female gives birth, the male will often take it upon himself to get rid of the babies. It's gruesome and awful. So just be prepared to have enough room for them both plus an extra nursery for the young when their mom is sick of them and you're waiting on buyers lol
  17. Delmy

Delmy Guest

where can I reach a breeder? Its impossible here in California. I'm more than willing to take care of my future hedgy as best as I can. :(