1. Are you a hedgehog hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for hedgehog enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and have a great time with other hedgehog enthusiasts. Sign up today!
    Dismiss Notice

Toys?

Discussion in 'General Hedgehog Discussion' started by milkandsam, Jul 31, 2014.

1. milkandsam

milkandsam Member

Anybody make their own toys? I make my own fleece snuggle sacks and linings, and I've made a few tunnels before, but I'm always looking for new ideas. Any thoughts??

(Guinevere likes to help sew!)

Attached Files:

2. Alex

Alex Member

A few things I have made olive... I made her a hiding corner in her c&c cage instead of using an igloo she likes it more because two sides are open as well as the front I cut into strips (it's fleece) so she can see out but it gives her the privacy she likes, also she plays with the dangling pieces, I also made her a dig box, I got this like pretty pink storage thing (I don't really know how to describe it, it has a flat bottom and rounded walls) then filled them with fleece scraps so she gets in there and digs and has fun. I also but paper crinkles(called eco bedding) next to her tunnels and she drags them in there and makes things... I know that isn't really home made but she loves them and it is nice since she uses fleece liners. I also make my own snuggle sacks, Make sure you always hide ALL the seams. You do not want them getting their toes caught in the stitches or the string getting pulled and wrapped around a toe...it can cut off the circulation and even cause them to lose a toe! I also make her liners, I use a bottom one that is fitted to go around the chloroplast, and then I make these 3 layer pads that sit over the top of them (I have to make two different ones for her cage as it is very big, but if you have a smaller cage you can just make one) It 2 pieces of fleece measured to the size of the bottom of the cage, plus an inch for seam allowance. Cut a towel to the same measurements, then you line up the two pieces of fleece (good sides facing each other) and then the towel on top, sew around all the edges, leaving a hole to turn the fabric out and sew up the hole. They have great absorbency, are very soft and squishy, and she loves them
    Josh likes this.
  3. Josh

Josh HedgehogForums Admin Staff Member

Has anyone used PVC or similar material to make tubes and tunnels for your hedgie to run through?
  4. milkandsam

milkandsam Member

Those are some great ideas! I've made cloth tunnels but I have yet to experiment with PVC
  5. Alex

Alex Member

PVC has so many chemicals that I don't trust. I wouldn't use them for my hedgehogs. I use either crinkle tunnels or snuggle tunnels
  6. Patrick

Patrick Administrator Staff Member

I've heard the colorless PVC is pretty safe for animals but the colored stuff can have some chemicals in it. I know @ellisrks01 uses pvc for alot of his building materials. He would have some first hand experience with it.