1. Are you a hedgehog hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for hedgehog enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and have a great time with other hedgehog enthusiasts. Sign up today!
    Dismiss Notice

So what does your hedgehog like to eat?

Discussion in 'Hedgehog Food and Diet' started by Patrick, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Patrick

Patrick Administrator Staff Member

Anyone have a hedgie with unusual tastes? Given that they can eat almost anything I would imagine some have some pretty eclectic diets.
  2. milkandsam

milkandsam Member

Spikes Delight Hedgie food.... she won't touch fruit. but she will eat mealworms!
  3. Josh

Josh HedgehogForums Admin Staff Member

I hate dealing with mealworms. Crickets I can do, I bet I could even do dubia roaches but mealworms just creep me out for some reason.
    Does anyone breed their own mealworms or do most of you just buy them? If you buy them, where from?
  4. Patrick

Mealworms bother me less than crickets...I used to have to fish crickets out of a bin and their squirming little legs gave me the creeps. Mealworms just wriggle...that doesn't bug me as much :)
  5. Josh

I think what bothers me about mealworms is if I have to touch them I feel like they're trying to burrow into my skin. It's too much for me. Crickets don't do that - to me at least.
    I'm going to try to start a roach colony for my geckos. Sounds like an awful, awful plan but I hear they're more nutritious, they're quiet, and don't stink as bad as crickets do.
  6. milkandsam

milkandsam Member

I have some roaches for my geckos... I could never start a colony though. We ended up buying a few and then dumping the last 10 into one of the enclosures... Some of them are still alive in there! Ick!
    Josh likes this.
  7. Josh

Where do you buy them from if you don't have your own colony?
    Does your hedgie like roaches?
  8. milkandsam

milkandsam Member

I got them from a reptile expo... I've never given her roaches because they freak me out! Haha. Meal worms are fine lol
  9. Josh

Yeah roaches kinda freak me out too. I've got a great pair of tongs though for feeding! :)
    milkandsam likes this.
  10. Tongue Flicker

Tongue Flicker Active Member

My hedgies doesn't eat fruits or veggies (they do anoint it though), they love eating snails and small frogs that i personally breed :)
  11. ShadowRancher

ShadowRancher Member

Mine gets different things on different days, he's never been a picky eater. His main diet is purina One cat food and Mazuri insectivore with Beneful wet food about once a week (the ones with peas and things, he'll only eat veggies covered in sauce). The wet food I separate into about 1/2 tablespoon sections into an ice cube tray then pop it out into a baggie once its frozen. I feed it out sunday early afternoon so its nice and melty by the time he wakes up for it. He gets crickets or mealies a couple of times a week and I offer veggies but they mostly end up on his spines.
  12. Patrick

Sheesh @ShadowRancher . Do you feel like this at the end of the week?
    [​IMG]
  13. Tuscadero

Tuscadero Member

Trying using plastic tweezers or small tongs to get mealworms out of the container, if you don't want to touch them.
  14. Tuscadero

Tuscadero Member

I mix some Natural Balance Green Pea & Duck Dry Cat Formula in with Phyllis's regular food.
  15. Alex

Alex Member

I feed Olive Blue Buffalo Basics, Limited ingredient grain free turkey dry food mixed with Chicken soup for the Cat lovers soul weight & Mature recipe. These are two really good foods for everyday. I would stay away from any kind of hedgehog foods they are full of fillers and most don't even use real meat. They have blood meal and corn. Corn is very dangerous to hedgehogs. You are pretty much better off feeding them cardboard. o_O
  16. Tuscadero

Tuscadero Member

17. Alex

Alex Member

This list is okay except only a few are actually GOOD for hedgies. I would stay away from anything with corn, corn gluten meal, animal by product meal, anything real meat is NOT the 1st ingredient, anything with citrus fruits or tomato products (dangerous to hedgies like chocolate to dogs), Fats ie: poultry fat, meat fat, soybeans, fish, blood meal, and anything with LOTS of ingredients in them because that meals there are a lot of fillers. Fish will also make poop smelly and give your hedgehog a "smell". I know this is a long list of things but it is VERY serious what you feed them. Citrus and Tomatoes are Toxic to hedgehogs, corn can cause intestinal issues and has no nutritional value what so ever. Blood meal can carry diseases and give to much Iron to your hedgehog. Also the brands Iams, royal canin, purina, spikes hedgehog, exotic nutrition hedgehog, and pretty much everything you find at the grocery store or walmart/target aren't healthy AT ALL. Tooo many horrible ingredients. Please be careful what you feed them as they cannot choose what they want to eat! Also too many meal worms can cause serious constipation, fatty liver disease, and obesity so limit how many they get. Wax worms are even worse. Try to keep the protein lower than 35%, 35% MAXIMUM you should give hedgies it can cause serious issues for higher, 15% fat is the highest fat you wish to give, and always look for the highest fiber in foods. Most cat foods have terrible fiber content so sometimes adding a little pumpkin or sweet potato baby food or pure canned (not pie mix!!!) can help them get a good amount of fiber. Do watch to not give too much so they get constipated!
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    Abdulla and gracefulchaos like this.
  18. Tuscadero

Tuscadero Member

Good to know! Thanks! :)
  19. Jrwarren

Jrwarren Guest

I've been told to keep away from anything cereal based.
  20. Tongue Flicker

Tongue Flicker Active Member

True that. Cereals are for feeders only lol