1. Are you a hedgehog hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for hedgehog enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and have a great time with other hedgehog enthusiasts. Sign up today!
    Dismiss Notice

Options for Housing a Hedgie

Discussion in 'Hedgehog Housing' started by Abdulla, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Abdulla

Abdulla New Member

I thought I might list a few commonly used types of housing for hedgehogs:
    1. A C & C cage: This is a cube & coroplast cage. This website is very helpful: http://www.guineapigcages.com/cubes_metric.htm

2. Bin cages: These are plastic Rubbermaid bins & Christmas tree storage bins.
    image.jpg
    (Photo from @ellisrks01)
    Pros:
    A. Can be found easily especially during/after Christmas.
    B. Do not usually cost much.
    C. Can be connected with PVC pipes to have a larger surface area.
    Cons:
    A. May hold an excessive amount of heat.
    B. may seem unattractive in some people's view.
    3.Commercial cages: Are usually sold at pet store & are sometimes marked as rabbit & guinea pig cages.
    image.jpg
    Pros:
    A. Easily found in any pet store that sells small animals and their products.
    Cons:
    A. May be very unreasonably priced in some places

4. Wooden cages: Are sometimes used for rabbits & such animals. If you have good building skills this may be easy.
    image.jpg
    Pros:
    A. May be used with leftover wood from recent projects.
    Cons:
    A. May harbor mites, especially if old damp wood is used.
    B. Mites may move from/to furniture in the house.

5. A bookcase cage: using a bookcase for a cage is pretty easy, especially if you want the cage to be roomy. You can use a shower curtain to line the bottom & prevent water from leaking into the wood.
    image.jpg
    Pros:
    A. Easily available in many furniture stores.
    B. Can be easy to make if you have bad building skills (Just a bookcase without the shelves).
    C. You can use the shelves for adding height to the wall, turning it into an area for more than one hedgehog, or even making another floor!
    Cons:
    A. You may need to buy more than one CHE (if you are using those).
    B. Uses are a large area.

6. Aquariums: I personally don't believe that aquariums are worth the trouble.
    image.jpg
    Pros:
    A. Found easily in Pet stores.
    Cons:
    A. Poor ventilation usually occurs if proper precautions are not taken (drilling holes in the sides)
    B. Can be too tall & not have enough surface area.
    C. Are hard to clean especially if the tank has tall sides.

7. Kiddie pools: this idea sounded strange to me when I read it online, but I said I'd add it anyway :)

Pros:
    A. Can be reused if you have one at home.
    Cons:
    A. May not look the best in some people's views.

Attached Files:

Josh likes this.
  2. Hedgehog In A Blog

Hedgehog In A Blog New Member

Okay.. I've rearranged my responses in order that Abdulla put these cages so if my responses sound a bit strange then blame me for not paying attention :)

1. I highly recommend the C&C cages since they are very sharp looking, easy to put together and come in a wide variety of styles and colours. Got a hedgehog and named him Sonic? Get a blue one! Got a hedgehog named Rapunzel for some reason? Buy her a pink one with a balcony! Got one and just want it to match your room? Get a, uh, purple one? I don't know what your room looks like. Just, like, whatevs.
    The downside? Be ready to pay around the same amount as you're paying to get your 'hog... these things are the opposite of cheap.
    Personally, I wanted a black one but it was a C&C cage or a treadmill... I'm on my second marriage and those extra 25 pounds people usually gain from each one aren't going to get rid of themselves (plus, just like 90% of the female population, I have body image issues and am actually not fat but just THINK I am. I am gorgeous, though. I ain't gonna deny how much make up I don't wear and how many implants of any kind that I don't have-- I'm probably out of your league, whoever you are).

2. Holy CHRIST! Who built that freaking BEAST of a bin?! That thing is a complete behemoth! That's gotta be a ***** to clean! (can I say "*****"? Are there guidelines about that? I'll gladly censor myself if you mod(s) need me to). It's WAY awesome! Holy crap. Do you live near San Diego? Build one for me lol
    Personally I recommend bins since they cost next to nothing, can be easily replaced and cleaned (unless you make yours insanely complicated), stand up to the small-sized under tank heater by Zoo Med (I never recommend lighted heaters because hedgehogs prefer it to be completely dark and because of the greater risk of fire when heated bulbs are involved), and can be customised any way you want within your skill level.

3. Commercial guinea pig/rabbit cages suck. They look ugly, they let the stink out waaaaay too soon (a cage with sides can at least let your little 'hog wallow in his or her own grossness for a couple of days before you start to be like "Oh GOD! CLEAN IT!"), and some 'hogs can even escape from them when you have all the doors locked. When that happens it's time to get a new cage and to rename your 'hog Houdini or Slim. The only plus side to this kind of cage is that, when your hedgie dies, you can resell it for a lot. Yay?

4. I don't know anyone who houses their hedgehogs in wooden rabbit hutches but those are usually for outdoor housing and putting your hedgehog outside, while it may make your house smell better, really is not something that I would recommend at all. They could die of exposure depending on what the weather is like. Even here in SoCal, where everyone swears that we dwell in a perpetual summer (it's kinda true), it can get terribly cold. We even get frost warnings and I live on the beach! And where the hell are you going to put the heat lamp? You definitely cannot use an under-cage stick-on heater because that's just a fire waiting to happen... I really just don't recommend these at all. They do look kinda nice, though.
    Oh and yes mites are a HUGELY bad issue with wood. My family, including all ten bajillion of my pets, had to move in with my parents while our house got demolished and reconstructed over the most annoying and awful 9 months of my adult life (I love my parents but come on... I'm way too old to be crashing at their place (DOB Nov 1985-- tyvm)). The worst part was housing my critters. My hedgehogs all went into the laundry room and were above the floors but there was one cage that did not fit and it went into the common room. My parents' house was built in 1928 and all of the floors are the original hard wood... and boy did we EVER have mites! It was DIS-GUS-TING! I had to clean them out on the DAILY! Blech. If I EVER see those putrid things again I'm going to hurl. So yeah... say no to wood.

5. Huh. I like the bookcase idea. Again I see a red flag with the wood... but if it is well sealed then there shouldn't be too much of an issue. Seems a bit pricey too, again depending on the quality of the material. But overall it seems legit. I personally am too lazy for that kind of effort to be put into a cage but it seems like something my hubs would do.

6. Aquariums are waaaaaaaay too expensive for the size that you need. I only tell people to use an aquarium if they already have one. The biggest Pro that I found for these is the ability to slide a nice, neat top onto it if it's tall enough to accommodate a wheel. There is enough ventilation as long as it is a light screen or if you leave the top completely open.
    NEVER drill holes into the side of an aquarium-- that is the stupidest idea ever. But if you DO try, please get it on video and post it here! :D Just try not to get hurt*.

*hedgehoginablog does not condone the use of idiocy to injure oneself for the amusement of others... but if you've already done it then how can we stop you?

7. This is, by far, simultaneously the worst and most hilarious idea out of all of them. I definitely do not recommend using kiddie pools of any kind. Hedgehogs have CRAZY amazing upper body strength and if the sides of their enclosure are not at least four times as tall as their backs then they are definitely going to escape, like, everyday. I wash my hedgies in a very deep sink and I breed them on the smaller side... they STILL get out if I don't stand there and keep poking them back in. I'll write a post on hedgehog escape plans if nobody has done it yet. Check it in a couple of days... sometimes I get side tracked. Also, I LOVE the photo you got for the kiddie pool LOL The blow up kind... just ripe for the deflating by angry little balls of quills.

Great post, Abdulla! Thanks for all of the awesome photos and info!

--Amy
    Hedgehog In A Blog
  3. Abdulla

Abdulla New Member

It would be nice to have this thread modified over time, and have lots and lots of opinions. Oh, and by the way... This is supposed to be a family forum, so swearing should be censored.
  4. Patrick

Patrick Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Abdulla, I've added a few words to the censored list to keep things clean.

Yes Amy, to answer your question there are guidelines for language. We try to keep things family appropriate so folks of all ages can enjoy the forum. That being said, I love your enthusiasm!
  5. Tongue Flicker

Tongue Flicker Active Member

I've personally tried using those rodent cages, bins, glass tanks and that bookcase cage. Bins and that bookcase cage works well for me. Light, easy to clean and is always ready for a quick renovation.
  6. gracefulchaos

gracefulchaos New Member

I have been looking into hedgehog ready vivariums actually. However, since my carpentry skills equal less than zero, I may be SOL on that front. My kids may just have to continue to deal with their wire top cages until I can afford to pay someone to build me something I like.
    Josh likes this.
  7. Josh

Josh HedgehogForums Admin Staff Member

Some really great ideas in this thread. Thank you all for sharing your experience and knowledge! Newcomers to hedgies will really appreciate the comprehensiveness of the info here.
  8. ellisrks01

ellisrks01 New Member

Holy crap who made that awesome double decker bin cage!! Haha! It sure looks fancy :)
  9. Tongue Flicker

Tongue Flicker Active Member

Ikr?! That double decker is epic haha