1. Are you a hedgehog hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for hedgehog enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and have a great time with other hedgehog enthusiasts. Sign up today!
    Dismiss Notice

Olive may be getting a sister!

Discussion in 'General Hedgehog Discussion' started by Alex, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Alex

Alex Member

So I am in contact with an amazing local breeder... She only has about 2 litters a year, she is a very small hobby breeder which I really like. But she just had a litter in the color I wanted and I am the 1st person to get to pick out a baby from the litter. I am thinking of getting a girl to be olive's sister. Has anyone ever introduced two girls to live together or have any pointers? If she can't be housed with Olive I will make her her own house. I am pretty excited as I have never had a baby hedgie before and I have really wanted one. There were other people on the waiting list but she moved me to the 1st since I have the most experience and knowledge, as well as she said I had one of the best houses and regimen she has ever seen!!! YAYY HEDGIES!
    Abdulla likes this.
  2. Abdulla

Abdulla New Member

I'm so happy for you:D! I'll try by letting them get used to each other's sent, then see what they will do when they can see each other (with a barrier between them!).
  3. Patrick

Patrick Administrator Staff Member

Very cool Alex! Congrats! Two animals together always makes me nervous as there can always be disagreements between them :p I know lots of folks do it successfully though, but I've just heard a couple recent stories (dogs not hedgies) where vets and the cone of shame became necessary.
    [​IMG]
    Josh likes this.
  4. Josh

Josh HedgehogForums Admin Staff Member

Make sure you do a vet check up and a quarantine to make sure neither animal makes the other one sick!
    Congrats on the new addition though! Very exciting!
    Hedgehog In A Blog and Abdulla like this.
  5. Hedgehog In A Blog

Hedgehog In A Blog New Member

I'm going to be the practical one and, as exciting as getting another hedgehog is, I don't really recommend putting two unrelated females together. I don't even do that when I clean their cages and have to put females in with another one for five minutes or so. I always put the related ones together and if one is unrelated or a male then I put him or her into one of my carrying cages.
    I agree that it CAN work out... but you will also need twice as much room for your two hedgehogs. I highly suggest that you just get a separate cage for the new one and then you can let them run around together outside the cages.

Hedgehogs are solitary animals. They really only enjoy being with other hedgehogs when they are hoglets and have been raised together. Also, the more hedgehogs you get the less time you will have to spend with each one. I should know-- I have six hedgehogs right now plus several amphibians, terrapins, fish, a hamster and two dogs, and it always seems like such a freaking chore to just clean their cages let alone spend time with them... But I'm also breeder so it IS my job to do all of that. I would never do anything different. I LOVE being a breeder-- but once they reach six weeks of age they go from being "those cute little balls of spikes" to "those stinky, over-priced prickly rats" LOL

Yes, I am trying to discourage you from going forward with this. But, if you do, just be prepared for them to hate each other; just in case.

--Amy
    Hedgehog In A Blog
  6. Alex

Alex Member

Yes I am aware of them possibly not liking eat other, but there is also a possibility they will like each other. Olives sister who she lived with died and she had been sad, plus baby is used to siblings. Cage space is not an issue, olive has a huge cage with over 10 Sq ft of space in it, I just built a second level the same size with pvc ramp. So they have 20 Sq ft of space, which is more than enough. They don't even have to see each other if theyes don't want to be, they have all separate stuff on each level. Also I quite enjoy speno time with my animals. I am with animals 24/7, I work with the, have my home babies, and volunteer at a shelter.
  7. Hedgehog In A Blog

Then you are far more prepared than everyone else who wishes to get a second hedgehog. Good luck to you! And I'm very sorry that Olive's sister passed away :-( My condolences. I hope for nothing for the best for you all.
  8. Alex

Alex Member

Yes, I actually researched hedgies for 4 years before finding a rescue. I spoil my babies and don't get pets that I cannot give the best possible life too. Also, Olive's sister passed before I saved her, she was only 7 months old, the previous owner kept them both in a very small cage that was filthy and they both hibernated, her sister just didn't come out of it. Now she must stay at 80 degrees at all times, have a UVB basking light during the day (before people freak out about this, the uvb is necessary for Olive, it keeps her cage bright during the day to keep her from thinking it is night, she also has a bright west facing window opened during the day) to keep her from hibernating.
  9. Hedgehog In A Blog

That is so sad! I've rescued a couple of hedgies and I cannot even believe the things that people will keep them in... they're like tiny prisons. I got a hedgehog from a snake breeder and she was using snake woodchip bedding, a giant dog bowl, and the worst wheel ever. I don't blame Rosey for not warming up to anyone after that... poor thing. The girl who owned her just wanted her because she was an albino and she collected albino snakes. She admitted that she had no idea what to do with mammals and it really showed when I bought Rosey from her. I also rescued a biter who was doomed from the start. He is a stellar stud and does not bite anymore but he was actually sold to his owner as a known biter! The nerve of that "breeder"! I would NEVER sell a biter... but I'd never be so neglectful to actually create a biter to begin with. Some people just do not deserve to own pets.
  10. Alex

Alex Member

Yup people suck. I rescue dogs and I have night terrors of the things I have seen, it makes wood chips and a bad wheel look like the best owner on the planet. Also some hedgies just bite, a girl I know, her baby didn't bite but then when he got older, he wouldn't stop!!! Everything he bit, his mom, his toys, his cage, his blankies! She tried everything to no avail. The breeder she got hers from traded her for another, but I actually know some amazing owners who got their hoglets from amazing breeders but they just became biters. One lady I know has actually fleece trained hers to stop biting. It is fixable if you have the patience.
    gracefulchaos likes this.
  11. Jrwarren

Jrwarren Guest

It all depends on the animal itself. You can do the most intensive training but if the animal is more stubborn than you or if it's just in the animals nature (shouldn't be used for breeding) then sometimes you just have to deal with it and plod along.