1. Are you a hedgehog hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for hedgehog enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and have a great time with other hedgehog enthusiasts. Sign up today!
    Dismiss Notice

New to African pygmy hedgehogs

Discussion in 'Hedgehog Housing' started by Jrwarren, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Jrwarren

Jrwarren Guest

Hi guys, I've recently bought 6 of these hedgehogs.
    2 male, 1 female and 3 pups (don't know if that's the correct term for babies)
    I know the basics and how to tend to their needs (and wants) but any friendly advice would be appreciated.

They are currently in cages similar to what you would keep a gerbil or something along the lines of that in.
    I'm going to be getting a huge wooden vivarium from my step father, would having too much space be an issue? I only ask as I know this can be a problem with reptiles.
    Also I know that blankets/fleeces are fine for them but I would much rather create a natural environment for them. So if anyone knows of any suitable substrates and any live plants that would not make them I'll please do let me know.
    I feed them dried and live mealworms and the dry biscuit feed provided by the previous owner.

Thanks, Josh.
  2. Jrwarren

Jrwarren Guest

Live plants that would not mat them ILL *
  3. Jrwarren

Jrwarren Guest

Oh my god I hate predictive.
    Any live plants that would not make them ill
  4. Patrick

Patrick Administrator Staff Member

Hi Josh! I've heard them called pups and piglets. Oxford thinks both are ok as well as just young or baby hedgehogs...but I like when they have their own name. http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/words/is-there-a-word-for-a-baby-hedgehog

I don't know that I've ever heard of too much space being an issue as long as its convenient for you and they still have somewhere comfortable to curl up in and it can be maintained temperature wise, but I'd be curious if anyone else has any input on this?

As far as plants go, I haven't read much on what folks use (live plants seem to be less popular), one or two cases of cactus or moss I've read, but I couldn't be sure of the safety of these.

Substrate can be anything from pine shavings (though I've read some cases of eye injuries and shavings getting stuck in places you don't want it) or some paper pulp bedding that is softer (I liked some recommendations for white as it would show urine issues or bleeding). I've read alot of bad stuff about Aspen shavings - allergies and injuries.

Anyone have experience to the contrary or any other good tips for Josh? I'd be interested to know some specific plant types that have been successfully used.
    Josh likes this.
  5. Jrwarren

Jrwarren Guest

Yeah I've heard a lot of bad things about many beddings and substrates. Space isn't a problem and I have many unused reptile kits perfect for maintaining temperature in the larger vivarium I'm getting on Wednesday. I love getting stuck into building their habitats (sometimes a bit too much, starts costing a fair bit). I've not bathed them yet so some advice on that would be good. Also has anyone gone to the extreme of putting in a small water feature? Something I would like to try if suitable.
  6. Tongue Flicker

Tongue Flicker Active Member

Us here in middle-east asia and some folks in europe (except the UK area) use sifted cocofiber 60% mixed with sifted desert sand 40%..

Moss is a no, no unless it is used as nesting material and wood shavings or even patted off hay seems to be even used but rarely only by some hardcore keepers who really knows what they're doing.

I've used it the aforementioned mixture before for half a decade without any problems except for the little dirt that you'll get by picking your hedgies up lol.

I must reiterate though that our hedgies have wholly descended from wild asian and indian hedgehogs so a dirt substrate is a non-debateable issue. Domesticated hedgies that have european and african bloodlines however are a different issue since they seem to be more delicate.

As for plants, any sturdy non-toxic plant that wont be trampled upon can be used. Herbs except those not on the safe list can be used. It is better to put them on pots than directly plant them since hedgehogs will mostly dig it out in search or in the hopes of finding worms or bugs to eat. Woody-stemmed plants that don't have poisonouse saps can also be used. Avoid any non-herb scented plant as these are most likely to be nibbled upon.
  7. Jrwarren

Jrwarren Guest

Everything will be potted. What I do is buy 2 of each plant.
    So then when the plant in the viv starts to go down hill a bit I swap it for the one getting natural light,feed etc. So I always have healthy plants in with my creatures.
  8. Tongue Flicker

Tongue Flicker Active Member

Be wary though, plants transpire and thus give off a little extra moisture. This could help hedgies with dry skin or attract mold growth if you're planning to do a glass or wooden enclosure
  9. Jrwarren

Jrwarren Guest

Yeah I know the score with live plants and general moisture. I've kept a variety of animals so I know how to control the Viv's atmosphere. I have built and customised many Viv's in the past. It's a hobby of mine. But as i've said I'm new to hedgehogs so I'm not too clued up on the more in depth information.