1. Are you a hedgehog hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for hedgehog enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and have a great time with other hedgehog enthusiasts. Sign up today!
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with Hedgie cage

Discussion in 'Hedgehog Housing' started by Riot101, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Riot101

Riot101 Guest

Hey everyone

Ive just taken in a adult male Albino Hedgy (age unknown). I own a Tenrec but i have no clue how big a Hedgy cage should be, and what is safe and not safe.

Please help? I have a 1.2m by 600mm plastic bottom cage. Could that work or is it too small?

What toys can i get him?

This is a rescue animal. I do a lot of Guinea Pig rescues but this will be my first Hedgy. Any help would be great!

This is Jacob... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420128010.089083.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Josh

Josh HedgehogForums Admin Staff Member

Welcome to the forum! That's a cute lil hedgie!
    Sounds like the enclosure will do for the time being. In most cases, more space is better but I think you're dealing with around 8 sq ft and that should be plenty. How's he settling in with you? Are you guys getting used to each other?
  3. Riot101

Riot101 Guest

He is settling in well I'd say. I'm still slightly afraid of his hissing at me. But I'm getting to know him and trying to handle him even though he is hissing. Don't want him to know that hissing scares me. He is eating well and last night FINALLY allowed me to feed him two live meal worms. First time in his life having live food. I must say, I'm having a lot of fun getting to know him.

4. Riot101

Riot101 Guest

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420643324.224459.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420643365.174288.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420643402.495055.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420643435.861457.jpg

5. Josh

That's awesome to hear! Thanks for sharing your photos - he's a cutie!
  6. Patrick

Patrick Administrator Staff Member

Glad to see things are going well! Sounds like you're taking good care of him!
    Josh likes this.
  7. Josh