1. Are you a hedgehog hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for hedgehog enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and have a great time with other hedgehog enthusiasts. Sign up today!
    Dismiss Notice

It's official! Everyone wants a hedgehog!

Discussion in 'General Hedgehog Discussion' started by Josh, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Josh

Josh HedgehogForums Admin Staff Member

2. Josh

Anyone else read this?
  3. ShadowRancher

ShadowRancher Member

It was sort of a weird article, just sort of like woohoo internet memes made this popular. And it bothers me when people mention salmonella in in certain animals, no animal is more predisposed than any other for salmonella (except possible poultry, but that goes back to husbandry as well) if your animal has salmonella it was a husbandry issue somewhere along the line.
    milkandsam likes this.
  4. Tongue Flicker

Tongue Flicker Active Member

I just dreamed of a cute, overweight cinnicot hedgehog running on my tummy last night lol
    Tuscadero likes this.
  5. Josh

I see more and more folks on social media like Facebook and twitter talking about getting hedgehogs for pets. I try to encourage them to do their research, and of course to come join us here!
  6. Tongue Flicker

Tongue Flicker Active Member

I'll get a new one once i'm back home haha
  7. Patrick

Patrick Administrator Staff Member

8. Tuscadero

Tuscadero Member

I noticed this past weekend while shopping for gifts that there were quite a few hedgehog-themed items for nurseries. Who knew?
  9. Patrick

Abdulla and milkandsam like this.
  10. Alex

Alex Member

This is a really bad thing, backyard breeders are popping up all over on craigslist who are not breeding hedgies with proper pedigrees and blood lines as well as not breeding hedgies with good temperaments, or with good overall health, they are saying they are easy, inexpensive pets, who need tiny cages...Which we all know is NOT true in the slightest. We need to educate people more...Also NEVER buy from pet stores, these animals come from people who only care about the money and even though you think you are saving them you are actually hurting MORE hedgies by contributing to the horrible people so they will breed more.
    Abdulla and milkandsam like this.
  11. Patrick

Like anything growing in popularity, there will always be folks who will do something for the wrong reasons. Unfortunately the growing demand for hedgehogs can make these folks profitable, but hopefully those who are experienced and in it for the right reasons can help. We absolutely need to educate people and that is one of the primary goals for this site. Education and community.
  12. Tuscadero

Tuscadero Member