1. Are you a hedgehog hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for hedgehog enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and have a great time with other hedgehog enthusiasts. Sign up today!
    Dismiss Notice

How do you house your Hedgehog?

Discussion in 'Hedgehog Housing' started by Patrick, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Tuscadero

Tuscadero Member

Think I'm adding little curtains to the corners. Stay tuned for pics!
  2. ShadowRancher

ShadowRancher Member

I had thought about it. My indoor tort house has a platform with a ramp so I might try something like that.
    Esther Marie Pearce likes this.
  3. ellisrks01

ellisrks01 New Member

Just wanted to share my custom cage and wheel I made . It's my males(Bruce)cage and he loves peeping his little nose out the PVC pipe holes. I made the light stand for $1.50 instead of buying one for $20 plus..

image.jpg image.jpg
    Patrick likes this.
  4. Patrick

Patrick Administrator Staff Member

Wow.....wow. that Bruce is a lucky hedgehog. Pretty impressive work there, how long did that take you?
  5. ellisrks01

ellisrks01 New Member

It takes me longer to get him out of the PVC pipe then it did to build it lol! So he is pretty lucky I haven't changed it yet :)

This was before I made his cage bigger to get the bucket wheel in and give him more room.
    image.jpg
    Patrick likes this.
  6. Patrick

Haha, I bet. Nice upgrade. You could build quite the complex with that system; a little hedgie metropolis.
  7. Tuscadero

Tuscadero Member

I love the PVC pipe tunnels! Phyllis has one curved PVC joint in her "condo" but I have been thinking of building her a more elaborate tunnel system. I think she'd enjoy it.
  8. ShadowRancher

ShadowRancher Member

Thats really cool
  9. Alex

Alex Member

[​IMG]
    Here's a picture of Olive's cage right now, I usually leave the lid open because she has NEVER tried to climb up the sides or anything.
    This is only with a couple of her things in it, I made her a little corner with her snuggle sacks in there (she has 2 at all times a light weight and heavier weight one) I think igloos are hideous so I made her a hide instead, Her Carolina storm bucket wheel, crinkle tunnel which she LOVES (she also has a snuggle tunnel), I put some Eco Bedding crinkles in there she likes to make things with, a super soft stuffed animal her size is her buddy she keeps in her bed, she has some balls she likes to push around, a water bottle next to her wheel so she will drink more when she is running to stay hydrated, and then her 2 bowls on the other side of the cage next to her bed for easy access if she gets thirsty or hungry in the day. I am planning on adding a second level to make her a dig room so she can burrow around. I made the fleece cage liners, she has several different sets. Also here's another picture the 1st time I put her in her new cage before putting the rest of her things in there!
    [​IMG]
    she loves the space, next time i have extra money we plan on expanding it to 4x2
  10. Tuscadero

Tuscadero Member

Nice!!!!
    Alex likes this.
  11. milkandsam

milkandsam Member

Has anybody had any luck with connecting two enclosures, or using tunnels to create multi-levels or anything? I've been thinking about adding a second level or just another tub to give Guinevere a bit more space
  12. ellisrks01

ellisrks01 New Member

I just added another level for my hog I posted pics already. I bought 3 different types of tubes before I ended up using a PVC pipe I already had. I can say it's kinda hard to stack bins because you can not have a steep incline, they can claim up easy but can't get down if it's too steep.
    However you do it,... It will be safer if you connect the top bin, to the lid of the bottom bin so it's all one piece. I used zip ties.
    Tuscadero likes this.
  13. milkandsam

milkandsam Member

Oh, I see what you did! That's really awesome! Hmm... Time to plan! :D
    Tuscadero likes this.
  14. Lingo

Lingo New Member

This is how our hedgies live. Each section is 120 x 60 cm (roughly 4 feet x 2 feet?) and there are five of those which all are connected. We have build this terrarium ourselves, took us about a month and cost roughly 300 € (right now roughly $340) including everything (a raspberry pie and temperature sensors were used to control the ceramic heat emitters). We used sealed wood and put pond liner inside to be extra careful.
    IMG_20150910_160426.jpg

We are trying to arrange every section differently in order to grant variety. But, like most German hedgie, they live "close to the wilderness" with lots of wooden toys and such. They also really adore stacks of straw (hay might be dangerous, there have been some bad accidents concerning their little feet). Just a while ago I tried offering linings instead of their usual bedding (which is a German high quality bedding that is actually meant to be used in horse stables (called "Tierwohl super") and fine sand which is often referred to as "Chinchilla Sand") and they seem to enjoy it as well. That means, I am able to find their leavings on that section, but they still prefer to sleep in their bark tunnel or in a pile of straw.

Every night we leave one side of the door open (we even put a tiny bridge :)) and let them roam the entire room which is all animal proof. They also seem to enjoy that.
    Their enclosure stands inside a room that only has the purpose of being a great home for our pets (we also have four tiny parrots (pacific parrotlets), two kakariki and four peruvian guinea pigs). The room has 12 m² which is approximately 130 ft². The floor is covered by pond liner.

Here is a picture, although its quality is quite low. :p
    IMG_20150910_160405.jpg
  15. Patrick

Wow! Gorgeous hedgie house! Did you build the entire cabinet yourself or just modify an existing one to work for your hedgies? Great job either way. It looks like quite the palace.
  16. Lingo

Lingo New Member

Thank you so much :)

We spent a month looking for the right cabinet to work with and changed it to our needs. :)
  17. Patrick

That's a great re-purposing of that piece. Well done.
  18. Jason

Jason New Member

Attached Files:

19. Patrick

Very nice enclosure. Have you had any issues with chewing on those cords?
  20. Jason

Jason New Member

Nah I moved them out of reach. The one running to the right along the back I had to move because he used it to escape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk