1. Are you a hedgehog hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for hedgehog enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and have a great time with other hedgehog enthusiasts. Sign up today!
    Dismiss Notice

How do you house your Hedgehog?

Discussion in 'Hedgehog Housing' started by Patrick, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Patrick

Patrick Administrator Staff Member

Did you buy or build it? Share your pictures and recommendations!
  2. Josh

Josh HedgehogForums Admin Staff Member

I'd love to see some custom built cages!
    I'm a fan of the cage-type used for rabbits and such. Plastic bottom with a pull out tray and a upper part that is metal bars for good circulation and visibility.
    What works for the rest of you?
    Tuscadero likes this.
  3. milkandsam

milkandsam Member

Here's Guineveres habitat! Excuse the mess, I haven't had a chance to clean it out yet today! I don't have a lot of experience with hedgies, but this cage has been working out fine. She really loves burrowing under and in the flannel!

Attached Files:

Patrick and Josh like this.
  4. Josh

I like what you've done there! Seems relatively low-cost and easy to maintain/clean!
    Did you make that custom stand for Guinevere's wheel? Pretty ingenious!
  5. milkandsam

milkandsam Member

Yeah! It's pretty easy! It's hand made but not by me! I didn't make the wheel either! It's a Carolina storm wheel and it's pretty much silent! Really awesome!!
    Josh likes this.
  6. Josh

7. milkandsam

milkandsam Member

Yeah! I'm thinking about attaching it directly to the side of the enclosure.
    Josh likes this.
  8. ShadowRancher

ShadowRancher Member

Right now I've got kima in a modified dog kennel, just the wire kind but I put a blanket over it to cut down on drafts. Its worked well for 3 years but I'm in the process of making a wooden one that can double as a side table for the couch. It'll look nicer and he'll be much more accessible for cleaning and play time (I'm really sick of crawling into that kennel).
  9. ShadowRancher

ShadowRancher Member

Some older pictures, I have a CSBW too!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And her's kima.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Patrick likes this.
  10. Patrick

I'm excited to see the new wooden enclosure! Be sure to post some pictures of your progress! I've got a thing for furniture that serves two purposes. Living in a smaller apartment I love when I can take advantage of a piece of furniture for additional storage. Multi-taskers :)
    Josh likes this.
  11. ShadowRancher

ShadowRancher Member

I'm pretty excited to finish (fingers crossed for this weekend but I have a birthday party), I'll try to take a couple progress pics.
    Josh likes this.
  12. ShadowRancher

ShadowRancher Member

This is the progress on the side table house so far, I'm not sure what to seal/paint it with yet if anyone has suggestions.

Attached Files:

13. Patrick

Wow it looks beautiful! I've read you should definitely water treat it, and obviously leave it to air out for a while, before throwing Kima in. Wouldn't want him getting high on the fumes. You're pretty handy by the looks of that enclosure. It looks really well put together! Aside from the coating for water protection I'm not sure what specifically would work the best/be the safest. Any ideas @FAS1031 or @Tongue Flicker ?
  14. ShadowRancher

ShadowRancher Member

Thanks I've had a lot of help! (my boyfriend's little brother was itching for a summer project). I think I'm going to go to lowes and see if they have any child safe options....I feel like those should be non toxic enough to be safe for hedgies.
  15. Patrick

Ya, I would think if it was safe enough for a kid it'd probably pass muster for a hedgie.
  16. Tuscadero

Tuscadero Member

Phyllis's condo sits on top of a base that has a drawer for her supplies, extra toys, etc.

Pics of her mom and dad (Talena & Bohdan) are on the "walls".

Attached Files:

Patrick likes this.
  17. ShadowRancher

ShadowRancher Member

That's cute, love the family pictures :p
    Patrick and Tuscadero like this.
  18. Tuscadero

Tuscadero Member

The little frames are from DollarTree. I put sticky back Velcro on them. The other Velcro strip attaches in the spaces between the wires. They stay on and are easy to move.

The magnet of Phyllis Diller has the same attachment.
  19. Patrick

Haha, I love the family photos @Tuscadero ! How's the progress with the side table house @ShadowRancher ? Have you made any headway on the paint/seal or still researching?
    Tuscadero and Josh like this.
  20. Josh

@Tuscadero awesome setup in that enclosure! So cute!

@ShadowRancher love the wooden crate idea. The dog kennel seems to be working really well too! I wonder if you could add a second level to it to take advantage of the height.
    Tuscadero likes this.