1. Are you a hedgehog hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for hedgehog enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and have a great time with other hedgehog enthusiasts. Sign up today!
    Dismiss Notice

help MY hedgehog

Discussion in 'General Hedgehog Discussion' started by wwjaen101, Nov 23, 2014.

1. wwjaen101

wwjaen101 Guest

hi everyone i wondering if i can use this kind of fake gras in the place of wood chips ect??

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
  2. Josh

Josh HedgehogForums Admin Staff Member

I suppose you could but your hedgie will probably like wood shavings or chips much better as they can dig around in there. Plus it's probably easier to clean than astroturf or similar.
  3. ellisrks01

ellisrks01 New Member

I used kiln dried, dust free pine shavings. But a lot of people use fleece liners to avoid URIs and wood shaving getting stuck in private parts. I've used pine for 5 years now with no issues what so ever. But that doesn't mean it doesnt happen to others
  4. Tongue Flicker

Tongue Flicker Active Member

Wood shavings should always be accompanied by a fishnet bag or something. Just dump the amount you'll use in. Hold the open end firmly and start shaking it up and down. This should eliminate a good deal of fine dust.

I've been using wood shavings, sifted coco fiber + sifted fine sand for years and never encountered a single problem except the occasional dirt on ya once you lift them up lol