1. Are you a hedgehog hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for hedgehog enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and have a great time with other hedgehog enthusiasts. Sign up today!
    Dismiss Notice

Hedgehog-Safe Cleaning Products

Discussion in 'General Hedgehog Discussion' started by Tuscadero, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Tuscadero

Tuscadero Member

I'd like to start a thread for folks to post the products they use to clean their hedgies' cages, bathe their hedgies, etc.

I'll start:
    • I use Ivory dish soap to clean her wheel and PVC tunnel.
    • I also use Ivory dish soap to clean her cage, when needed.
    • I use Johnson's Hand & Face Wipes to spot clean her cage daily.
    • I use Aveeno Baby for her bath time.
    • I use a dab of extra virgin olive oil to massage into her feet and legs after a bath or foot bath.
    Josh likes this.
  2. gracefulchaos

gracefulchaos New Member

I use bleach and hot water to deep clean the cages and wheels followed by a dip in cold water and vinegar to completely rinse away any residue.
    For spot cleaning I use vinegar and water.
    On the hedgies themselves I use a gentle oatmeal soap for now with a light rinse in warm water with a bit of coconut oil. I have a friend making a hedgie friendly soap for me that is almost ready. No perfumes, dyes,or artificial ingredients and extra moisturizing.
  3. Tuscadero

Tuscadero Member

I have a good quality coconut oil - hadn't thought of that. How often do you clean cages and wheels?
  4. Josh

Josh HedgehogForums Admin Staff Member

I know for deep cleaning some folks use Simple Green because it's supposedly natural. Anyone have experience with that?
  5. Patrick

Patrick Administrator Staff Member

Only that my dad said a guy selling it to him actually drank some to prove it...anyone have any real experience? :p
  6. Alex

Alex Member

I use green bones Snap Naps pet wipes with Lemon grass
    they have 4 ingredients, Purified water with lemon grass extract, Aloe Vera Leaf juice, Vitamin E, and Lanolin.
    I use this for wheel wipe downs and poopy feet. The reason these are good is because on the front it explains these are good for hamsters, guinea pigs, bunnies, ferrets, cats, dogs, and most small animals. They are anti fungal (good for the wheel) and reduce allergens. They are one of the only products I trust to use on Olive. They work really well for getting crusty poop and dried peep off wheels, and work for those hard to clean poopy feet. I like they are fragrance free so they won't bother Olive. I use this just for the morning wipe downs, Once or twice a week I do take her wheel to the tub and use dawn and one of the baby bottle scrubbers to really get in there and give it a deep clean.
  7. Tuscadero

Tuscadero Member

Is the Aloe Vera Leaf juice safe? I've read Aloe is toxic to hedgies but I don't know what type of Aloe products are toxic so I just avoid anything with "aloe" as an ingredient.

I wash her wheel and PVC tunnel everyday in very hot water with the Ivory dish soap. She usually gets a mini-pedicure daily, too, of some sort so I can check her feet for any issues. She only gets a full bath as needed.
    ellisrks01 likes this.
  8. ellisrks01

ellisrks01 New Member

Some "parts" of the Aloe plant are poisonous so it's considered toxic to hedgehogs. So most people stay away from it.
    I'm no expert but I've just read that in quite a few places.
    Tuscadero likes this.
  9. ellisrks01

ellisrks01 New Member

I got intrigued and found some information on the Aloe plant.. I learn something new everyday :)

Toxic Principles: Aloin and anthraquinone-glycoside

Aloe Vera is a succulent plant, recognized for its long, spiny, flower spikes, and yellow flowers, in terminal, elongated clusters. It has been used for thousands of years to treat burns. In addition, it has also been used to treat heartburn, diabetes and irritable bowel syndrome. It is also common practice for cosmetic companies to add sap or other derivatives from aloe vera to products such as makeup, tissues, moisturizers, soaps, sunscreens, incense, shaving cream and shampoos. It is not widely known, however, that it is, in fact, poisonous. The gel, which is NOT poisonous, inside the leaves, is covered in a thin layer of Aloin and Anthraquinone c-glycoside, which are very toxic. If eaten in large enough quantities, it is known to cause abdominal cramping, nausea and vomiting, diarrhea and red urine, though not due to blood. Breaking a piece off to sooth irritated skin is generally considered safe, with the exception of those sensitive to latex.
  10. Alex

Alex Member

You don't eat the outside EVER (they also do not put it in gel or juice). Also you can drink aloe vera juice and NOTHING will happen except you will get a lot of vitamins.... the gel is just the juice gelatin style. There is nothing toxic in it what so ever. I have been drinking aloe vera juice my entire life and I completely know it is safe for my hedgehog. As well as being a bio chemist and knowing what aloe vera does for the body. Not to mention Agave (aloe) is what they make tequila out of and it is NOT toxic.
  11. ellisrks01

ellisrks01 New Member

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  12. ellisrks01

ellisrks01 New Member

Also jus to add... that info if for the plant I would like to think they don't put the poison into stuff we all use.
  13. Alex

Alex Member

Yeah I think it means for like a dog chewing on an aloe plant the friut inside the leaves where the juice comes from is not toxic. The toxic chemicals are in the thick skin of the plant which isn't used. I drink pure aloe juice for my skin and other things and have never had any issues in over 20 years of doing so. Never even had a single reaction or feeling after...it does make my dry colorado skin better though
  14. Tuscadero

Tuscadero Member

So, don't let your hedgie chew on an aloe plant but aloe that is safe for humans is okay.
  15. Alex

Alex Member

Yeah since they make it without the skin. Like the waxy pokey outside that's green. The inside actually kind of looks like jelly, it's where the plant stores the water and nutrients. So it's defense is to have a really hard and sharp, toxic outside so animals don't chew through to the middle where all the water and vitamins are stored. Also it's pretty thick so the water doesn't seep out, but once you get inside everything is perfectly safe...Does that make sense?
  16. Tuscadero

Tuscadero Member

It does. I thought the issue was that hedgies didn't digest or process the aloe innards. Like people who have peanut allergies. Peanuts aren't toxic, in general, but for some folks can be deadly.
  17. Patrick

Patrick Administrator Staff Member

Makes sense. Great discussion, this is very helpful for folks wanting to know how to best take care of their hedgies! Thanks @Alex, @tuscader, and @ellisrks01!
    Tuscadero likes this.