1. Are you a hedgehog hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for hedgehog enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and have a great time with other hedgehog enthusiasts. Sign up today!
    Dismiss Notice

Hedgehog Food Treats

Discussion in 'Hedgehog Food and Diet' started by Josh, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Hedgehog In A Blog

Hedgehog In A Blog New Member

A word on apples-- applesauce has an exorbitant amount of pectin in it which can actually do more harm than good when one is constipated. I take about 16 different prescription medications, at least half of which are constipating (I'm sure you wanted to know that lol) so I was told by my doctor to eat apples sparingly and to avoid applesauce. I know that all of our digestive tracts are different but it is something to keep in mind if you are having trouble with your hedgehog's regularity.
  2. Alex

Alex Member

It's not applesauce, just organic mashed apples, no sweetener or pectin. The apples are hydrating for her with fiber and actually help the go in hedgehogs because their digestive tract is similar to dogs where it is very very short where ours is very long and food with that much fiber cause constipation. In hedgehogs their digestive tract is short and it will aid in them going. Also 2 meal worms every 3 days is not too many in my opinion. I know people who feed 5 a day. She had been constipated since I rescued her which is why I didn't know she was constipated and thought it was her "normal". Her previous owner fed her up to 7 giant super worms a day which kept her stopped up. Being the insectivores/opportunistic omnivores they're bodies need high protein, the good fats, and good cholesterol that is prevalent in insects. Which is why they should be consuming insects every single day. I do a cycle of Silk worms, Pheonix worms, Horn worms, dubia roaches, wax worms and mealworms. More commonly I feed silk worms, they have no hard exoskeleton and are lower in fat than even meal worms. Oralade is like super gatorade for pets. It has a ton of vitamins and minerals in it as well as a LOT of electrolytes. It takes a very small amount to re hydrate an animal compared to water, it also has chicken broth in it to make it more palatable and to add nutrients. I would give her 5 ml 2 times a day. I did use earths best organic sweet potato baby food. The extra water in it also helped a lot to get her to go, she would readily eat the food when she still didn't want to drink much. I fed it to her and she has passed the hard feces; and good soft feces on night 2 of giving her the oralade and sweet potato. I continued the oralade and sweet 'taters for 6 more days to make sure she was going to stay regular. I made a super get better "soup" when she was having issues because she was refusing to eat and drink as well. If you would just like to just do sweet potato 1 tablespoon a night is what you would feed. I took away her kibble, she would of eaten this before kibble anyways; but here is my "soup", that is good for any sick hedgie, it is the most amazing thing I could come up with and it made her recover 4 times faster than she would of any other way.
    Ingredients
    • 2 tablespoons of Oralade
    • 1 tablespoon of Carnivore Care
    • 1 tablespoon of Hills A/D
    • 1 tablespoon Earths Best Sweet Potato & Chicken
    • 1 tablespoon Earths Best Turkey Vegetable Dinner
    • Optional: Earths Best winter squash (does the same as sweet potato)
    Mix them all together. If you are syringe feeding you can add Oralade until it easily passes through the syringe. You can add Oralade or baby food until it is soupy. Offer as much as they will eat, we all know hedgies are free feeding and will stop when full, and you want them to eat because they are sick. This is like hedgehog crack.
    Hedgehog In A Blog likes this.
  3. Alex

Alex Member

We aren't sure exactly what was wrong, she had a hibernated before I got her, then attempted with me 2 weeks later didn't recover and wasn't eating or drinking and that is when she became constipated and dehydrated which is why I made a big mix of food and gave her Oralade which is electrolytes. I don't feed many insects at a time, but read my last post and it describes pretty much what you said about how important bugs are to hedgehogs. That is the main reason I usually feed ones with no hard exoskeletons. Also have you ever had an issue with fish? I have read a lot of bad things with hedgehogs and fish. Does it really make their poo extra stinky?
  4. Hedgehog In A Blog

Hedgehog In A Blog New Member

Wow. Thanks for the info! I will definitely keep that in mind. I will try to incorporate more insects into the little spiky-rat's diets :)
  5. Alex

Alex Member

Yeah getting a good low fat insect will really boost their health and you will have a very happy hedgie. I really got into diet with Olive as she was very sick when I got her and will have special needs her entire life. I was seriously amazed at how fast she recovered once I started the Oralade and this soup mix. Now I just feed her the sweet potato & chicken baby food 3 times a week to make sure she is getting the fiber she needs to keep from constipation. She also eats baby food every night to keep her from getting constipated, it has a lot of water and good juice from the veggies to keep her hydrated because she is not a big water drinker. Sometimes if I notice she isn't drinking enough I will give her 5 ml of Oralade. The only problem with Oralade is that once the bottle is opened it only last 3 days. I divide it into smaller sizes and freeze it to make it last, I actually bought a bunch of syringes, filled them with 10 ml of Oralade (enough for 2 does) and can thaw a syringe and use it. I use the curved dental monojet style syringes for the hedgies, they are by far the easiest to use, the only thing I don't like is that you cant measure with them, so I measure using a regular syringe with no tip then stick the tip of the monojet syringe in there and transfer the liquid once, use a sharpie to make how much should be in there and then I know.
    Hedgehog In A Blog likes this.
  6. gracefulchaos

gracefulchaos New Member

Regarding fish and stinky poo. If I feed them canned cat food that is fish based, yes their poo is a bit more pungent than usual. But the commercial raw fish doesn't cause that, that I have noticed.
  7. Alex

Alex Member

hmm nice. I am not a fan of fish right now. Farmed is horrible and the fish wild caught have insane high mercury levels and they're eating lots of plastics and are also insanely high in phalalytes and super cancerous and causing severe problems.
  8. Jrwarren

Jrwarren Guest

If fish is cancerous then I would avoid it as when I was researching hedgehogs before I got my tribe it said that they are prone to cancer.
  9. Tongue Flicker

Tongue Flicker Active Member

Steamed freshwater fish meat is fine as long as it is commercially farmed and not wild-caught.

Fish is incredibly high in phosphates/phosphorus so that causes hedgie poops to smell more than if they are fed with conventional feeds.