1. Are you a hedgehog hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for hedgehog enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and have a great time with other hedgehog enthusiasts. Sign up today!
    Dismiss Notice

Hedgehog Food Treats

Discussion in 'Hedgehog Food and Diet' started by Josh, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Josh

Josh HedgehogForums Admin Staff Member

What kinds of foods does your hedgehog like to eat as a treat?
    Have you tried using this food to train your hedgehog at all?
    How often do you give treat foods?
  2. Susan

Susan New Member

I give my hedgies Mealworms (some people call them "mealies"), they love them! I also give pregnant moms cottage cheese and scrambled eggs, some like it some don't. :)
  3. Tongue Flicker

Tongue Flicker Active Member

I give them smooth peanut butter or a couple of superworms as treats.
  4. Tuscadero

Tuscadero Member

Phyllis has not shown any interest in anything other than live mealworms. She snubbed the freeze-dried ones completely. I though she was going to like some cooked carrots but she anointed herself with it and never touched them again. I had some of those puffed baby snacks and she will eat those, but only occasionally.

So far, she eats her food and mealies.

NOTE: give new, messy, colorful treats BEFORE bath time, not after.
  5. Alex

Alex Member

Olive LOVES her hard boiled eggs!!! More than any kind of insect for sure! I give those to her as well as, mealies, crickets, dried wax worms (only ever 1 a week, they are very high in fat and are not a treat you can give them often at ALL) I also make her meatballs which are a smorgasbord of different things and you can switch them up pretty often. A basic recipe of brown rice or quinoa, rabbit or other very lean cooked meat, baby food in fruit, vegetable, and meat flavor to cover up the veggies, a few mealies for taste, and eggs. You can use fresh fruit but Olive hates fruit and vegetables so I use baby food since it is easier to hide the flavors in with the other things. You can pretty much add whatever you like cook them, pop them in the freezer and take them out
    Hedgehog In A Blog and Tuscadero like this.
  6. Tuscadero

Tuscadero Member

Oh, I did give Phyllis some hard boiled egg and she does like it. The reminds me that I need to boil eggs tonight!
  7. Tongue Flicker

Tongue Flicker Active Member

When my hedgies were young they only ate boiled egg yolks. They seem to ignore/hate boiled egg whites lol
    Tuscadero likes this.
  8. Patrick

Patrick Administrator Staff Member

Boiled eggs...who knew. The whites are just for filler anyway, the yolk is the good stuff. I just started pickling a batch last night :) A similar recipe to Joe Jost's from Long Beach.
    Tuscadero likes this.
  9. Hedgehog In A Blog

Hedgehog In A Blog New Member

Most of my hedgehogs just like their cat food and can even be bribed with it despite the fact that it is always available. Most of the adults like meal worms but the babies hate them. I try to keep it simple or I'll be washing hedgies every day and spending a mint on new bedding!
  10. Hedgehog In A Blog

YOU are completely nuts LOL But it's probably the same thing I'd do if I only had one hedgehog :)
  11. Alex

Alex Member

Why? Because I makeep fresh foods? And I have 2 hedgies
  12. gracefulchaos

gracefulchaos New Member

Alex is a very devoted owner and has a lot of information to give and educates herself regularly on new ideas and techniques. I have never seen anyone as openly passionate about their love for their animals as Alex seems to be. I admire her for that. I don't always agree with her, lol. But I do admire her. And I'm gonna ask for a breakdown of that meatball treat recipe too. My own array could use more variety in their diet and it looks like something easy to put together on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.
    Hedgehog In A Blog likes this.
  13. Alex

Alex Member

Awh thank you so much! I do love my babies more than anything and a healthy baby is a happy baby! Meatballs are pretty easy.
    1. You need a base of some sort ie: brown rice or quinoa you can skip this if you would rather just use meat. Some kind of good lean meat, no red meat of course, ie: rabbit, chicken, duck. Pre cook it, boiling is best.
    2. Then throw it into a food processor or cut into small pieces. I use egg too, sometimes I use hard boiled eggs, Hard boiled golden eggs, or sometimes I use raw to make my meatballs stick together.
    3. You can add veggies if you would like, unfortunately Olive hates veggies so I use a baby food like Earths Best Turkey Vegetable dinner and sweet potato baby food.
    4. Mix all your dry ingredients together, I don't know the measurements sorry, I just mix the rice, meat and veggies ;if you are using them.
    5. Add the egg and baby food until they are sticking together and the consistency you like.
    6. You can use a small cookie scoop and drop them onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment or roll them into little balls.
    7. I cook them until they are finished at 350 and when they are done they go straight into the freezer, when they are fully frozen I pop them into plastic baggies.
    8. Then when you want to feed them to your hedgie take the meat ball out and put it right into their cage at night... Since they eat late at night it will thaw in the night then they will eat it, if your hedgie will eat it right away, let it thaw at room tempeture before putting into their cage.
  14. gracefulchaos

gracefulchaos New Member

I use the commercial raw food as well and to keep it fresh I cut it into small pieces and freeze it and store it in a Ziploc bag. When I pull the kids out for run around time in the evening I always do it in the same order and when the fourth hedgie comes out, I start pulling out their cold food bowls and set everything out to thaw. By the time the 6th is done, everything is thawed and ready to serve with a side of kibble.
    I know you prefer fresh or self frozen insects, but using canned would be fine too, correct? Not freeze dried. Canned. They are moist and shouldn't mess up the recipe much.
    I wish my kids liked treats besides mealworms and crickets. But I am encouraged by them eating the commercial raw food because they will eat the veggies in it.
  15. Alex

Alex Member

I feed the baby dogs raw food too. The reason I use the baby food is to get Olive to eat the veggies, the brand I use is Earths best because the vegatable dinner is Water organic apples, organic carrots, and turkey in that order. So it has more veggies and fruit than meat and she thinks its meat. I think canned would be just fine, and yeah I don't like freeze dried period, they are very very bad for hedgies. Tons of nutrients are sucked out of them and then just the skeleton is left which causes constipation. Fresh mealies are even dangerous because of their exoskeleton. I feed a lot of insects without exoskeletons like silk worms, pheonix worms, and waxies
  16. gracefulchaos

gracefulchaos New Member

I read somewhere that some exoskeleton is actually good for their dietary tract. And I don't mean on that other forum, lol. On a vet site, if I recall correctly. The problem with the freeze dried mealworms or insects with big exoskeleton is that it's just too much dry matter and not enough wet matter to offset the the dry. Hence the issues. Because of my husband I'm very sensitive to anything that can cause issues like that so the information stuck. When I do crickets it's either small live one's or canned big ones. But the canned ones are huge! I have to squish them to make myself comfortable that no one is going to choke.
  17. Alex

Alex Member

I don't know where you read that but they defiantly are not good for the digestive tract. Olive was only eating 2 every 3 days and they made her so constipated I had to give her Oralade and sweet potato to help her go. It was bad. Now actually gets more but I feed her a lot more other foods before she was just on Kibble and meal worms.
  18. gracefulchaos

gracefulchaos New Member

So, she was short on wet matter? Water isn't necessarily enough, but rather innards or food of similar consistency. Also they could have been discussing wild hogs. The article was about the importance of insects in the hedgehog diet. It went into some of the pros and cons. And keep in mind, some animals, like some people, are going to be more sensitive to some foods than others. I feed the kids mealworms weekly in their big fish dinner and haven't had a problem. I stopped feeding treats individually not long after Gabriel's biting issue became a real problem. So they all get 5 mealworms in their cold dinner cup once a week with their commercial raw fish. I have never been big on feeding many mealworms at once. Too fatty, to much of a chance of issues.
  19. Hedgehog In A Blog

I don't think you're crazy; I was being facetious. You sound like a wonderful and caring owner. I honestly just do not have the drive to make up special food for my animals. I think it's wonderful that you do that for your hedgehogs.
  20. Hedgehog In A Blog

Two every three days is a LOT. I'm not surprised that your hedgehog had digestive issues with such frequent ingestion of mealworms.... Mealworms are a "sometimes food", meaning that once a week or less is probably the most you should be giving these types of things to them. I'm really glad that you found a way to get her to become regular again, though. I'll keep the sweet potato and Oralade idea in mind just in case I have a fluke problem case. I give my phone number to every one of my clients and they send me photos of hedgehog fecal matter more often than I'd like to admit lol It's good to have an arsenal of ideas that have been tried by other breeders and/or enthusiasts. Do you mind elaborating on your methodology? What is Oralade? Did you use sweet potato that you mashed yourself or was it baby food? How much of each did you give her and over what period of time? How long did it take to work through her system? Poor little poppet... I'm glad she's all better now.

--Amy
    Hedgehog In A Blog

PS I have a mental disorder called Borderline Personality Disorder that makes me very socially awkward. It's not too unlike Asperger's Syndrome and I try very hard to control it. So if I come across as disrespectful then please try not to take it personally-- just talk to me about it and I will tell you what I was trying to get across. I apologise in advance-- there's not a whole lot that I can do about it that I'm not already doing.