1. Are you a hedgehog hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for hedgehog enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and have a great time with other hedgehog enthusiasts. Sign up today!
    Dismiss Notice

Hand feeding?

Discussion in 'Hedgehog Food and Diet' started by Jrwarren, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Jrwarren

Jrwarren Guest

I've been hand feeding my female (she is so lovely, amazing temperament and just loves the attention) but I don't want to encourage her to bite my fingers by associating my fingers with nice treats. I think an idea would be to try and remove the scent of her treat from my hands all together.
    Does anyone else hand feed their hogs?
    Can they identify the difference between the mealworm and my finger?

Thanks, Josh
  2. Josh

Josh HedgehogForums Admin Staff Member

I think you'll be OK if you make sure to wash your hands so they don't smell like food and hold her plenty so she can differentiate between food and you. Has she bitten you yet?
  3. Jrwarren

Jrwarren Guest

Lol yeah she finally bit me, I let her though to see what she would do. It was more the fact of she was looking for food. Learn from your mistakes.
  4. Tongue Flicker

Tongue Flicker Active Member

Lol i would highly advise against handfeeding live bugs. Hedgies get crazy over them and some (like mine) will go berserk biting everywhere when they smell bugs or worms. If you wanna handfeed, try using kibbles
  5. Jrwarren

Jrwarren Guest

Yeah I gave her a locust from my locust farm and she nearly tore my hand off lol. I won't be hand feeding any more and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless you have complete faith in your hog.