1. Are you a hedgehog hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for hedgehog enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and have a great time with other hedgehog enthusiasts. Sign up today!
    Dismiss Notice

Ceramic Heat Emitters (CHEs) and hedgehogs

Discussion in 'Hedgehog Housing' started by Josh, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Josh

Josh HedgehogForums Admin Staff Member

Are any of you using artificial heat at night? I've read that some use ceramic heat emitters (or CHEs) but I've also read that some use red light bulbs. Do you use either? What about the folks that live where it gets really, really cold at night? What do you do doing winter? What is your backup plan if the power goes out for an extended period of time? Anyone stock up on chemical hand warmers?
  2. ShadowRancher

ShadowRancher Member

I live in SC so its usually warm enough. We had a tough winter this year though so I pulled my torts and hedgie into one small room and had a space heater as well as a few CHE's and lights going so it kept it toasty for them. usually I just hang a CHE in with kima for the winter months.
  3. Lingo

Lingo New Member

I use ceramic heat emitters and the hedgies love it. They always try to find a place closest to their warmth. We made sure that they will never be able to reach them, though. I know lots of hedgehog owners that use red light bulbs, they work just fine. I just don't really like the light emitted.
    It has never happened to me that the power went out, I guess German infrastructure is to thank for that. But just in case it happened, I think I would use hot bags (filled with water or cherry seeds), lots of blankets and body heat.