1. Are you a hedgehog hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for hedgehog enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and have a great time with other hedgehog enthusiasts. Sign up today!
    Dismiss Notice

Surprising Hedgie Discovery

Discussion in 'Hedgehog Food and Diet' started by Tongue Flicker, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Tongue Flicker

Tongue Flicker Active Member

Here goes:

Majority of keepers (by that i mean 99%) hailing from US, Canada, UK, EU region, Japan and other countries feed dry kibbles/dog&catfood.

I, on the other hand give my hedgies (i used to keep 6, sold 5 now i'm left with one) kibbles soaked in water, watermelon juice or cantaloupe juice for 20-30 minutes (you can use hot water to shorten soaking time) til it bloats then drained & sprinkled with a little calcium powder, 2 drops of sunflower oil and a dash of sesame seeds every day for the past 8 years of me keeping hogs. I also provide a separate water bowl for drinking. Due to my almost failed health last year, no one was left to care of my babies but my lazy, unreliable sister.

My discovery was, for the past 7 months of rehabilitation starting February 2016, my hedgie haven't drank a single drop of drinking water. No water bowl with a fresh supply of drinking water was provided. I probably may have neglected to do so on a couple of occasions due to my aching or immobile body and had to ask assistance from my maids but i decided to do a little resilience test as well after realizing 2 months had already past since he last drank from a bowl.

Apparently all that kibble soaking in water provides sufficient enough moisture to keep a hedgehog hydrated without the need for n extra water bowl (Note i live in the Middle-East, Temps go high up as 47 deg Celsius/120's F with 40% humidity all year round)

I know what you're thinking! Yeah, what a bad, irresponsible keeper. But hey, discovery requires experimentation. As it turns out this may help others as a reference in the future. Note i also only feed once a day. So it was really amazing. No i'll side effects whatsoever. I also had my hedgie checked up today and the vet was amazed that my hog is as normal as any water drinking hog.

That's all.. Cheers! :)
  2. Patrick

Patrick Administrator Staff Member

Wow! No water for 7 months! I have ready even people get a lot of water from their food and there are animals that never drink water and get 100% from their diet, but I didn't think hedgies were in that group :p Quite the experiment, but I'm glad they're healthy and happy!
  3. Tongue Flicker

Tongue Flicker Active Member

I knew that 'moisture from their diet' part but i never thought that will be put into application because of what happened to me. They still pee a lot never the less.. (i thought that would lessen, but no lol)